The following are some basic guidelines as to what constitutes a maintenance emergency:
- Fire: Call the Fire Department immediately.
- A/C Repair: By Florida Law, A/C repair is not considered an emergency. Also keep in mind it is very dangerous to try and fix an A/C at night or in the rain due to the possibility of getting electrocuted. We do understand this can be extremely uncomfortable and we will schedule the repair on the day you call or the following day. Just like if you owned your own house, when it is hot there are a lot of A/C’s out there breaking. You might have to wait for the A/C tech to get to you after he finished 6 or 7 previous appointments.
- Heater Repair: If outside temperature is falling below 40 degrees.
- Uncontrolled Water Leak, Flooding/Gushing/Overflowing: Turn off water valve to pipe or exterior water main until contractor arrives.
- Structure Failure of the building: Example roof collapse, wall collapse, etc.
- Broken Doorknob, Lock or Window: Only if it prevents Resident from properly securing unit. If temporary measures can be taken until business hours, resident should wait until regular business hours before contacting management.
- No Electricity: Only if there is no electricity and 1.) The Resident has called the electric company and found that they were not at fault. 2.) After Resident has checked all the breakers by flipping them ALL hard to the OFF position and then back on and reset all GFI circuits in the house. Partial outages do not represent an emergency! If a wall switch or outlet begins to smoke or smell, remove all plugs and turn off switch. If necessary call the fire department.
If this is an emergency maintenance situation please do what you can to mitigate the situation (i.e. shut off water valve etc.), ensure your safety and the safety of your family, then call our office.
These are the basic calls that may constitute an emergency. If you have a situation other than these, which seems immediately hazardous, damaging or detrimental, please call our office and ask for maintenance. If after hours call the emergency number.